Survey: 60% Indians plan Valentine’s Day surprises for their partners in advance

February 11 2016,  17.57 PM IST || Pocket News Alert

The Valentine’s Day fad has caught on in India in the recent years! Be it online or offline stores, everyone’s coming up with great offers, interesting gifts and great combos so that you may woo your partner like never before!

Recently, we at, conducted a survey wherein it was found that around 6 in every 10 people who were in a relationship, planned to surprise their partner with unique gifts and ideas on Valentine’s Day.

The online traffic for Valentine’s Day gifts like chocolates, bouquets, stuffed toys, jewellery and romantic dinners received a boost right from the first week of Feb on It’s good to note that on an average, a majority 60% of the partnered people have began looking for gifts right from the 1st of February.

To make this occasion more special, Shop Pirate Coupons has got special deals for the consumers who want best deals in a quick turnaround time or last minute arrangements. At, special Valentine's Day discount are promoted by Ferns and Petals, Sendmygift, Archies online and others. There are few exclusive discount coupons available at wherein shopper can get 20% discount on shopping for flower, cakes, chocolates, soft toys. This deal is exclusive with

What are the gifts that top the expectation list of Indians looking forward to surprises from their partners? Here’s a list of the most wanted gifts on Valentine’s Day

·         Chocolates/Cakes/Candies:  35% expressed a wish for chocolates

·         Weekend escapade to some romantic spot: 52% wanted a cozy getaway with their partner

·         Lovely greetings/words: 45% wanted a lovely greeting or letter conveying the right message

·         Romantic dinner: 53% expected to have a candle light dinner

·         A lovely bouquet of flowers: 33% wanted flowers to express love

·         Jewellery: 18% expected jewellery

·         Romantic proposal letter: 17% expected a love letter in paper or email.

Valentine’s Day – a Hype? – No!

We also looked at the percentage of people who actually celebrate V-Day. Our survey indicates that 25% of single people celebrate Valentine’s Day even without a partner.

A good 40% don’t think of celebrating Valentine’s Day until it actually arrives. And that leaves behind 60%, who plan good surprises well in advance.

Interesting points we noted

·         Not surprisingly, men tend to spend more for their partners gifts’ than women.

·         When do Indians start planning their surprises? Around the 1st of February on an average!

·         More women (35%) than men make last minute plans rather than in advance!

·         Men love to receive flowers from their partners too.

To browse discounted gifts and offers, visit the Shop Pirate Valentine's Day page

The survey was conducted among Indians in the age group of 18 and higher. Results may vary by a small percentage if conducted on a larger scale. Survey: 60% Indians plan Valentine’s Day surprises for their partners in advance