Authored Article from Dr Subha Dharmana:
India 12 August 2016: The problems you face with monsoon are winds, rain and humidity. This causes frizzy and dry skin and you are also exposed to the polluted waters the rain brings.
1. You must try and protect hair from the environmentally polluted wet rains. Use a raincoat, hoodie, umbrella or a hat.
Indulge in oil massages regularly. Wash with an SLS free shampoo regularly and use a clarifying shampoo once every 2 weeks to remove buildup and condition. You can use moroccan oil serums and other such similar serums to prevent frizziness. Frequent deep conditioning treatments or hair spas will also help. At home you can also use a leave in conditioner for the mid - bottom lengths of your hair
2. Never comb wet hair with a normal brush. Detangle always with a wide toothed comb. Wet hair is very fragile and can break easily if combed with a regular brush. Never use heat style wet hair.Blow dry it first before you use the irons. Use a heat protecting serum or spray before you heat style. Moroccan oil, argan oil are all good choices.
3. Since the skin is more dry at this time of the year, use cleansers that are soap free or SLS free. This takes care of the gentle facial skin and does not strip away the essential skin oils. If you have oily skin you may use cleansers with tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid
4. Moisturise regularly. The monsoons are harsh on the skin. If you have oily skin, use a hydrating lotion or serum which will not clog your pores. Cream based formulations can be used if you have dry skin. Combination skin types must follow the same regimen as oily skin.
5. Suncreen is a must even in the most cloudy and rainy seasons. A good sunscreen with SPF 30 or more is necessary to prevent some of he signs of ageing and sun damage. Most BB creams and CC creams have a built in sunscreen but the SPF in them is usually not enough. Look for something with SPF 30 or use a base sunscreen and layer the CC/BB cream on top. Don’t forget to apply on the neck and ears too
6. Exfoliate facial skin once in a week unless you have active acne. Don’t forget to exfoliate the full body. You can use a scrub or a pumice stone every 2 weeks over the body to exfoliate
7. Dry cracked heels, dry knees, dry elbows,chapped lips can all be helped by exfoliating and moisturizing. For dry cracked heels, elbows and knees use a pumice stone everyday in the bath and moisturize with oil or emollient cream. Dry cuticles can be helped by using a cuticle oil at the base of the nail and massaging the oil in. Use sugar on the toothbrush and brush the lips to exfoliate and follow it with shea butter or bees wax.
Dr.ShubaDharmana MBBS, DFFP, DPD
Cosmetic Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon
Founder Lejeune group of Medspas